I get a lot of Home Depot gift cards and I try to save them up just for projects like this.
1.75" pvc pipe
1.75" pvc caps for end
quikrete (the red bag)
rust-oleum spray paint (hammered)
saw (I used a miter saw & box)
planters (or whatever type of container you want)
string Christmas lights
pry bar (used to mix concrete)
drill and drill bit
First, I measured 18" from the end of the pipe and made my cut, then did the same with the other 4.
Then, I drilled a hole about 2" down from the top and screwed in the hooks. (make sure to use a smaller bit than your hook size)
Next, I put them in the planters. They're top heavy so I placed a couple of rocks inside. I spray painted them and let them dry. Then flipped them around to do the other end.
Just in case this isn't obvious, please wear some sort of mask to keep the dust away. This is an add water concrete so you really don't want to be breathing in the dust. Don't I look so cute? haha Safety first!!
Next, I poured about half a bag into the planter. Then it's just a matter of adding the water. I wanted this to set pretty quick so I added water then mixed and added some more if I needed it. Being careful not to make it too runny. I used a pry bar to mix. It was very thick and took a little muscle to incorporate all of the dry mix from the bottom but I got er done!
Once that is done, quickly grab the pipe and push it down to the center and bottom of the planter. I used a long level to make sure that both sides of the pipe were plum. I held it for a couple of minutes. I then laid the level across the top to help keep it from moving (shown in pic). This quikrete is very quick setting, hence the name. It was very hard within 25 mins. Then I just repeated the process 4 more times. I didn't take long at all.
After everything was dry I moved them to where I wanted and just strung up the lights. To secure it to the hooks I just wrapped it around once and went on to the next one. Really simple.
Then, I added some sand from our sand box b/c I didn't want to pay for all that potting soil. I filled it with sand about a foot from the top. Then filled the rest with potting soil.
Next, I planted the flowers and made it look pretty. They look great at night and have been through a few summer storms and wind and are holding up great.
Thanks for stoppin' by!!